present buying tips for the other half!
With Christmas getting closer and closer, we’re probably right in thinking that your other half is starting to look vaguely panicked every time you mention the ‘Big Day’.
So, in our efforts to make your life a bit better (or more comfortable at least), we undertook some research on your behalf and the results were pretty shocking, to be honest. For example, did you know that only one in 10 pregnant women will unwrap some new lingerie on Christmas day? High returns rates in January prove that men rarely get it right and so we’d like to give them a little bit of help. We’ve come up with a few helpful tips below that you should definitely email over to your other half in a not-so-subtle hint!
As always, let us know what you think in the comments and feel free to add a few tips of your own…
For the Dad-to-be – some advice from Amoralia
We know this is difficult – you’re not really into all this frilly stuff and the thought of being stuck in a shop that’s decorated different shades of bright pink and filled with giggling, squealing girls brings you out in a cold sweat. Us too (which is why our internet shop is so convenient 😉 ). But the woman you love is lugging around what, by now, could well be quite a hefty weight with her all day, every day, so we think you can put up with it for 20 minutes. Go in with a plan and you can get out again faster than you can turn the telly on. Follow our simple guide below and your life will be much easier, trust us!
1. First things first – try and pay attention to the lingerie that she wears already. Which bra does she wear most often? Then, sneakily check the size (not whilst she is wearing it). For those who don’t know, the label is pretty much always at the back, near the fastenings:
2. Don’t just think sexy for a mum-to-be. Look at getting something pretty and feminine but also comfortable.
3. It might seem obvious, but she already knows what she likes! If you don’t see her wearing a lot of colour, don’t buy a colour. But don’t be afraid to try something different – if she usually wears white, why not try an ivory set, or a really light pink? If she wears a lot of colour, why not go for something a bit different, like Amoralia’s Second Skin Organic in denim blue.
4. What do you do if she doesn’t like it? Don’t take it personally and don’t blame her hormones! Just ask for a gift receipt so she can change it.
(image courtesy of baconkitty.com)
5. You might also want to do a bit of research, depending on what stage your partner is at. For example, lingerie that she would wear when she is just pregnant will be quite different to the lingerie she should be wearing just before birth. Check out our helpful guide at www.amoralia.com/whats-my-size
6. Still struggling? Give us a call on +44 (0)207 940 8250 or email us where we will offer completely impartial advice and try to help!
7. Good luck and remember – being a dad is going to be harder than choosing lingerie, so just get on with it!
Ladies, we have all our fingers crossed for whatever you have under the tree this year!
What do pregnant women really feel?
A lot of our customers recommended that we work with BabyList – a fabulous independent consultancy service which helps mums-to-be choose the ‘right’ kit for the new baby, from cots to christening invitations, via breast pumps and baby monitors. They listen to each client’s circumstances and requirements and carefully explain the pros and cons of each product.
Unfortunately, this is what they say about maternity underwear: “There is a time for luxurious, exotic nightwear and underwear. This is not it.” To be honest, it’s not the first time we’ve had this reaction from shops, midwives and magazines, but it runs completely counter to what we hear from our customers. One of them summarised this neatly: “That is clearly not written by someone who has ever been pregnant!!”
What do you think? Is pregnancy a time when luxury is no longer relevant? What do pregnant women really feel?